We know that here in Witham there are many committed young people who give their time voluntarily for the benefit of others. Witham Town Council wants to acknowledge and celebrate this and has decided to create the Witham Town Mayor’s Youth Award scheme to promote and reward positive community action or volunteering by young people in the Town.
Town Councillors want to encourage young people between 11 and 18 years to engage with their community and to recognise the part they have to play in the present and future development of the area. They want to raise the self-esteem of young people to increase the level of their community involvement, and think this will improve social behaviour and give us the opportunity to tell good news stories about the commitment of Witham’s young people
To be eligible for this award young people must:-
- Live in Witham, or be at school in Witham
- have contributed to the wellbeing of the local community. Examples of way of doing this could be:
- taking on a major responsibility and seeing it through
- having worked to help the local community
- having shown spirit, courage or responsibility in the face of adversity that is an example to others
- showing concern for others and a willingness to put others before themselves
- achieving a major goal after considerable personal effort
- helping run a youth club or other organisation
- helping make the Witham Community safer through initiative or behaviour
- raising money for charity or other good causes.
- supporting or mentoring someone through a difficult time
- volunteering for a project or projects which work with the disabled, ill or elderly
- looking after abandoned or neglected animals.
Any adult who has contact with the nominee may make the nomination.
The award will be judged by a panel, comprising the Mayor, Deputy Mayor and up to three other members of the community appointed by the Town Council, and an awards evening will be arranged in the autumn, to which all short -listed nominees and their families will be invited.
The winner will receive a £250 cash prize. Short-listed nominees will also receive recognition at the awards evening.
Nominations may be made at any time during the preceding year using the Nomination Form below, which is also available from the Town Council, 01376 520627.